THIS MAY BE THE CRITICAL CATHOLIC ISSUE OF OUR DAY
Between clamors for excommunication on the one hand and screams of “weaponizing the Eucharist” on the other, what should the Catholic Church do about professed Catholics in public life who advocate for abortion? Where does the truth lie?
His Eminence, Raymond Cardinal Burke, sets forth the reasonable answer.
With an incisive legal mind and the heart of a true pastor of souls, Cardinal Burke provides Catholic clergy with a solid foundation for dealing with this thorny issue. Deny Holy Communion? is a concise, powerful look at the Catholic Church’s teaching on worthy reception of the Holy Eucharist.
With declining Mass attendance, the lack of understanding of the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist and increasing religious disaffiliation, this book is especially relevant in this period of Eucharistic Revival (the 3-year period leading up to the National Eucharistic Congress in June 2024 called for by the USCCB).
Far from shrinking from the issue, Cardinal Burke has been prominent in the past two decades consistently addressing the problem of Catholic public figures unworthily receiving Holy Communion:
- In 2004, as Archbishop of St. Louis, he forthrightly informed the public that then-presidential candidate John Kerry was not to receive Communion in the Archdiocese.
- Cardinal Burke was then rebuffed at the 2004 US Bishops’ Conference when Theodore McCarrick stifled the Vatican letter concurring with his position.
- His Eminence published an authoritative treatise on the status questionis ("the state of the question") in a canon law journal in 2007 regarding the exclusion of public sinners from Holy Communion.
- In 2021, he reiterated these positions with crystal clarity in “Catholic Politicians and Non-Admittance to Holy Communion”.
Cardinal Burke has not ceased to be a voice of reason and an advocate of pastoral charity for at least two decades. Now, he gives us this immense tour de force work covering all the bases of this complex issue.
These are a few of the questions he addresses in the book:
- Is it really “weaponizing” the Eucharist by denying Communion to those who flout the Church’s sacramental teaching – or is this an act of charity toward the sinners themselves?
- Is more “dialogue” needed to accommodate Catholic teaching to modern concerns – or do we just need to apply the teaching we have?
- Is canon law ambiguous about this issue – or does it provide clear guidelines for priests and pastors who have such dissenters in their parishes?
- What is the specific disciplinary process to follow in these cases, and
- Even more importantly: What happens to the community of faith when clergy do nothing in the face of such grave scandal?
Catholic Action for Faith and Family is pleased to make available to the public Cardinal Burke’s, Why Deny Communion? at this critical juncture of the Church’s life.
Every bishop, priest, and deacon – in fact, every Catholic – should read this book to know the mind of Christ as presented to us by the pre-eminent voice of the faithful Church today.
Thank you for joining this effort to preserve fidelity to the Holy Eucharist!
IN THE NEWS
Washington, D.C. (Feb. 21, 2023) - Catholic Action for Faith and Family (CAFF) Announces Nationwide Campaign to Educate American Clergy on Distribution of Holy Communion.
Published Feb.14, 2023 by Catholic World Report
Have the Bishops Finally Had Enough?
Author: Thomas McKenna
Mr. Thomas McKenna, senior lay leader and sponsor of this campaign, is the point person for promotions and will be available for interviews and media promotions as scheduling permits. To coordinate a pre-announcement interview with Mr. McKenna, please contact John Hasson [email protected] or Ryan Moy [email protected].
Pray for the Campaign & Submit Your Intentions
Support our major outreach to preserve fidelity to the Holy Eucharist
Get Your Copy of Deny Holy Communion?
Note: Deny Holy Communion? is not for sale but can be obtained with a donation to Catholic Action.
DENY HOLY COMMUNION? RESOURCES:
View the front and back cover of Deny Holy Communion?
Read the letter Thomas McKenna sent to all ordained clergy in the United States
Review A Faithful Echo of the Eucharist three-year plan.
Other online resources:
Visit the Catholic Action website at https://www.catholicaction.org/ for regular Canon 915 Campaign updates, resources, and books (which are not for sale but can be obtained through donations to Catholic Action.)
Cardinal Burke’s website: https://www.cardinalburke.com/
Official Prayers in the Pew Eucharistic Revival Prayer Cards: https://sitstandkneel.com/product/eucharistic-revival-edition/